To Monitor and implement Safety related Projects, to recommend enhancements to the risk management system and minimise risk exposure through policies, procedures and safe work practices. To facilitate and conduct audits to measure compliance and implement initiatives to address shortcomings
DEPARTMENT AND LOCATION:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Grade 12/STD 10 / (NQF Level 4) certificate
- Relevant Trade certificate (Engineering) Artisans & Foreman
- SAMTRAC and ITSAM certificates
- 5 years working experience in the mining environment as Safety Officer
- A valid first aid certificate is essential
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Office)
- SAP knowledge and experience will be advantageous
- Must have a valid Code EB (08) driver’s license and own transport
- Valid medical certificate or be medically fit in order to obtain such a certificate
- Relevant safety legislation, i.e. Mine Health and Safety Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act and COID Act.
- Knowledge of Risk Management Framework
- Good understanding of quality management systems, techniques and best practice
- Working knowledge of relevant laws, company standards and project management systems
- Understanding of Safety systems and process utilization.
- Understanding of operational practices and associated technologies
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
- Ensure compliance with the legal requirements in respect of the Health, Safety and Environment as specified in the Minerals & Regulations and the MHS Act
- Ensure enforcement of standards and procedures, as well as assisting in development and
implementation of mine standards.
- Assist with conducting issue, baseline and continuous risk assessment, hazards identification
and monitoring risk assessments in the workplace.
- Ensure that safety audits/critical area inspections are conducted, and remedial actions are
- Ensure proper reporting and investigations on workplace incidents and implementation of
- Analyse and report on Safety statistics and propose and implement initiatives to reach safety
- Monitor and make recommendations on the application of health and safety principles
regarding all equipment/machinery, hazardous substances in the workplace.
- Advise on the safety principles pertaining to sources of mechanical / electrical energy and to
non-mechanical/ non-electrical sources of energy, and on application of safety and health
principles regarding electricity in the workplace.
- Advice using given methodology, perform on the job coaching to enhance individual
performance in the workplace.
- Communicate safety milestones, best practices and monitor compliance to safe production
- Manage the financial aspects in terms of health and safety (Awareness campaigns) ensure
that all programmes are run within budget. Authorise all the actions and be fully involved in all